Historic Mary King's Close can be found beneath the buildings of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland's Old Town. Mary King, a merchant burgess who lived on the Close in the 17th century, is credited with giving the neighborhood its name. Mary King, a city trader, settled in what was then called Alexander King's Close, now called Mary King's Close. As Edinburgh's second-largest thoroughfare (after The Royal Mile), it served as a marketplace.
After her husband died in 1635, she moved her children to The Close. Mary supported her family by selling clothing and fabric, but she also appreciated the finer things in life, such as expensive wines and exotic ceramics. Mary King's accomplishment of having a street named after her and the artifacts she collected show the life of a remarkable woman who defied stereotypes and left a lasting impact. To make way for the 18th-century Royal Exchange, a large section of The Close had to be dismantled and buried, and it remained out of the public eye for decades. Many urban legends and tall tales began to surround the area. It opened to the public in 2003 and has since become a five-star attraction that has won numerous awards.
High Street, 2 Warriston's Close, Edinburgh EH1 1PG Scotland, United Kingdom